PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Turkey Meatballs with Pesto over Zucchini Ribbons {Day 3 Clean Eating}

Google and I have been BFFS this week, 
ok who am I kidding we are always BFFS, but more so this week.
I find my self googling "Is _______ clean eating?"
And not much to my surprise there is a lot of gray areas.
Based off the brand and self life, these things can REALLY change a product to clean eats.

For instance I was wondering about parmesan cheese.
Based off my google search, which lets keep it real if its online it MUST be true {hahaha}, it is in moderation.  And well duh it says to NOT purchase the shaker kind that somehow can survive outside of the refrigerated section.

So between google and the product labels I would say best advice is, buy fresh and buy items with 7 or less items listed as ingredients, and make sure they are things you know.


Turkey Meatballs with Pesto over Zucchini Ribbons:
For pesto I used Lesely's recipe, I subbed the walnuts for toasted pine nuts.
Best part is, it makes a ton and you can just have it handy in the fridge.

Meatballs:
- 1lb organic no antibiotics or pesticides ground turkey
- 1 cage free egg
- 1/2 cup Ians Panko Wheat Bread Crumbs {this is one of those google searches from above}
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- And optional, I like to add Nutritional yeast, you can read the benefits here.

Mix all together and form balls, I usually get 8.
You can cook these two ways:
Baked at 350 for 25 mins
Or
Pan cooked with a little olive oil, sear the sides, then add a sauce cover and cook for at least 25 mins.

While the balls cook, you can cut zucchini in ribbons, with either a veggie peeler or medallion.
Then in a pan with a little olive oil sauté them until a little translucent.

Plate the zucchini and meatballs. Spoon a heaping teaspoon of pesto, sprinkle a little fresh grated parmesan and red pepper flakes if you like a little kick.


As for the kids, they are not big zucchini fans, which I am ok with, they cannot like every veggie. So I make them quinoa pasta and a little of Gia Russa's low sodium pasta sauce. 


I cannot stop thinking of what else I can use my pesto on... possibilities are running amuck in my head.
Tonight we are heading out to eat for my BIL's birthday, fingers crossed I can rest the cake! 

1 comment:

Anna @ IHOD said...

omgggg catching up on all your fab recipes! thanks friend! x